THEOLOGY OF THE BODY RETREAT
Tuesday, August 9th (9:00 AM - 8:30 PM) - Wednesday, August 10th (9:00 AM - 4:00 PM)
Registration for the 2016 ToB for Teens Retreat is available now at this link
THEOLOGY OF THE BODY PARENT MEETING
Monday, August 8th (6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Crucial Parent Information about the Retreats are here
What do teens think the Church has to say about sexuality? They probably think the conversation would go something like this:
Student: Is it OK for me and my girlfriend to…
Religion Teacher: NO!
Student: Well, what if we just…
Religion Teacher: NO!
Student: But what if we really…
Religion Teacher: No. NO. NO! Just don’t! Be nice little boys and girls. Hold hands and go skipping in a pumpkin patch together, then sit with her family, and make sure your dates are over by 7 pm, or she’ll get pregnant and DIE! Class dismissed. Have a nice day!
If that’s your teen’s impression – or your impression - of the Catholic Church’s stance on sex and dating, it’s pretty grim. But there’s good news! The Church does have a lot of positive things to say about our sexuality –that is, our identities as male or female – and what chastity really is (not just a list of oppressive rules). It’s found in a beautiful teaching called the Theology of the Body (or ToB for short). ToB is not just a “chastity talk.” It’s a way to really think about how sexuality and spirituality are not opposites- in fact, they are designed to go together. ToB isn’t just about sexuality and relationships, but about how God fits into all of that, and what it means to really be fully alive in our identities.
Because we know high schoolers and their families are almost always busy, the ToB for Teens will be offered as a two-day retreat twice during the summer months. One retreat will be held in early summer (June or July) and another in later summer (August). That way, even if you have vacation plans, sports camps, graduation parties, work commitments, and a busy social life, you’ll still be able to choose the ToB for Teens option that’s best for you and your family. All students will need to take a TOB for Teens summer retreat session at some point before their confirmation. You can take the ToB right away this summer (2013), (the only choice if you are entering 11th or 12th grade in the fall) or wait until next summer (2015) or the following one (2016) if that’s easier (for 9th and 10th graders).
- Offered twice per summer to accommodate different family schedules. For 2013, they are July 16-17 and August 6-7.
- Two days (not overnight) long. Students must be present the whole time; there's a lot of material to cover!
- If your student can't make either option, that's ok! Several families are likely in the same situation. We have three options:
- a separate small study group during the year (separate from regular CCD or Confirmation),
- home study (less ideal, since the group dynamic is key),
- attending another parish's ToB retreat. Not many parishes do ToB as a retreat; currently St. Katherine Drexel has one schedule in November. This is a good option for those who can't commit to another ongoing activity/study group during the school year.
Questions or other feedback? Let me know; I'd love to chat! 788-5711 or email@example.com
Blessed John Paul II, pray for us!